Sunday, October 3, 2010

'Murphy's Law,' etc.


I finished Rhys Bowen's Murphy's Law. I liked it. The resolution made sense and just when you thought it was going to be resolved a little too neatly, a final twist was the better denouement. I could do without the budding romance between the main character and main cop, but it's not a deal breaker, as Liz Lemon would say. 

I am now reading The Man Who Smiled by Henning Mankell in anticipation of the Masterpiece Mystery version being shown next Sunday on PBS. I am excited the TV series featuring Kurt Wallander, Mankell's detective played in the TV series by Kenneth Branagh, starts tonight with the first Wallander book, Faceless Killers. I highly recommend it, probably my favorite of the excellent PBS show. (Another favorite is Foyle's War. If you've never seen it, get it on DVD. I am praying there are more; the final one ended with Foyle retiring and heading to America to find someone, leaving the door wide open for more episodes.) After Wallander, there is a modern-day take on Sherlock Holmes. Believe it or not, I've never read any of the Arthur Conan Doyle classic.

While I was at the library I picked up Nevada Barr's Track of the Cat, the first in her Anna Pigeon series of mysteries set in the southwest and already considered a classic, on the library sale table. I also checked out The Laughing Policeman. I'd rather own it but the local bookstores are out. It is considered the best of the 10-book series by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo.

And am happy to see a new book by John Le Carre coming out Oct. 12. A new book by Martin Cruz Smith is already on bookshelves.

Talk of Foyle's War reminds me: can anyone recommend a mystery set during WWI or WWII?

6 comments:

J. Michael Neal said...

Three Stations is good, but probably the weakest of the Arkady Renko novels. Admittedly, that means that I really liked it. I do think Smith needs to stop having two pretty much separate plots, one centered around Arkady and one around Zhenya. This worked better in Stalin's Ghost.

It's not often that I say that a book needed to be longer, but this one does. It might have been better with more pages for things to develop on. I'd have been willing to wait another year to get a better book. Hell, I've managed to wait this long (though not patiently) for the next installment of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Cops and Cozies said...

Three Stations hasn't gotten great reviews. I've been meaning to read Stalin's Ghost, but I didn't like Wolves Eat Dogs. I'm probably alone in that.

Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found the comment thingy.

I've bookmarked your site.

PurpleGirl (from Balloon Juice, Blogger doesn't want to recognize my pw))

KRK said...

For mysteries set in WWII, have you looked at the Billy Boyle series by James Benn? I read the first one when it was new at my library and enjoyed it. I always meant to read the next if there were to be more, but lost track. I looked recently and discovered that there are now five in the series with a sixth in the works.

Nevada Barr doesn't stay in the southwest. She works her way around the country throughout the series with assignments to various national parks.

Cops and Cozies said...

Yeah, as soon as I wrote that about Nevada Barr, I realized I wasn't sure if the series stayed in the southwest. Starts out there at least. ;-)

I'll check out the James Benn series. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cops and Cozies said...

Thanks for stopping by, PurpleGirl!